Do Yoga Instructors judge themselves?


I have been a yoga instructor since graduating in 2011 and I really love continually helping students in their journey of well-being. It is always fantastic to hear students feedback weather it is good or bad, either way I know that all student responses will eventually help me help others.

Knowing that receiving feedback as an instructor, be it good bad or ugly is extremely helpful in furthering ourselves as teachers and providing a better practice for current and future students. Although, sometimes the ugly feedback it’s rather hard to swallow and makes you question your ability as a teacher.

Truthfully, I often judge myself in terms of my teachings on and off the mat. I have shed countless tears thinking that I may not have what it takes or be good enough for my students as their instructor. In the beginning I thought I was completely out of my depths and wondered how much I actually knew and how can I teach others what I actually do know about practicing yoga. In some instances I have even judged myself against the abilities of other teachers and students feeling inferior.  I know it’s not the yogic way but the positive of self-judgment and the feeling of inferiority is being able to understand my flaws and things that I need to work on to better myself and to transfer that into YogaLou.

On the flip side, there have been numerous moments where I have had and still have great energy within each class and have walked away feeling fantastic and confident in my teachings.

All said and done, I have realized that even as a yoga instructor I am still human, have the same emotions or doubts as I would if I wasn't teaching, it's just how process them that makes the difference. I am working hard to work through my doubts and ask why I'm feeling these feelings and learn from them. It is probably always going to be a learning journey about myself but I look forward to meeting my more mature yogic self.

Namaste